ST - re: Persona

Elspeth de Forbeys ladyforbeys at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 13:57:24 PDT 2000

 My Lady Chiara,

         May this lettre find you and your family in
good health and safe in the keeping of oure goode
Lord. I will tell you that I have come to better
estate than I bethought I would as a younge girl. i
was born in Scotland to my father , himself of Forbes.
Alas my mother took the fever when I was but alive
three days and now she rests in the bosom of Christ.
My father's priest did write in the great book that I
was born on the Ides of December in the year of our
Lord 1161. It was the same priest who taught me my
letters. He did beat me because I could not learn
moreof Greek than a few letters ; but my Latin is
quite good. As the youngest of  four sisters it was
not thought that I would be able to make more than a
middling marriage. This was not to be . Our cousins of
the Irvin clan came one fine Autumn to make alliance.
There was one among them a John who was looking to
make alliance with our clan more closely by marriage.
It was my father's thought to give him one of my older
cousins in marriage. The men of Irvin were uneasy in
their situation. They were cousins to the King; but he
had no male heir. I fell in love with this John when
first I saw him in our stables. He did feel the same I
could see but was loath to ask so much as my hand. My
father did not at first wish to give me to a border
Lord but I beseeched him without mercy until he did
assent his permission. We were wed after the feast of
the Epiphany and I did go with him to his many
holdings. One of those he has made my house in this
Barony of the Steppes.

may the Lord Christ continue you in his keeping and
may we next meet onmerry ground.

Lady Elspeth de Forbeys

you can use this Chiara; but I'm curious as to the
whole reason why ?