ST - feed back needed does this make sense?

Greg Shetler shetler at home.com
Mon Aug 7 01:34:12 PDT 2000

willowjonbardc at juno.com wrote:

> I have been trying to express Jonathan's and mine opinion on role
> playing. I am not sure this hits the mark.  Please look this over and
> give feedback.
[snip bulk for bandwidth]

I would agree that role-playing can add to the atmosphere of our game.
However, your post sounds as though you are sounding the clarion call to
try to get everybody to start role-playing, or to increase the amount of
role-playing in their game.  I don't think such a clarion call is
needed.

Instead, I would suggest simply pointing out the magic it adds to *your*
game, and then not worrying about how much role-playing others want to
fit into their game.  This way, everybody will be playing the game that
they love, living the dream as best suits them.

For myself, role-playing does *not* add that much.  Very few people here
in the US would even be able to speak to me.  I would feel compelled to
attack those who I felt insulted me - an easy thing to do, actually,
when talking to a very early period Northern German Saxon (especially
when making an offhand humorous reference to "Saxon dogs").  I would be
spending too much of my time asking questions about fortifications that
very few around me would even recognize, as I planned future raiding
parties.  And the humor of an early-period Saxon talking to a very late
period Frenchman wears thin very quickly.

I recognize that it adds quite a lot to others' games, and try to play
along a bit when somebody *does* want to role-play their persona - and I
make my excuses and leave when it is polite to do so, in order not to
intrude on their game.

Different folks, different ways - with a common ground in the SCA.

Dux