ST - Maiolica Feast Gear Class reminder

Joe and Mary Schirmer jmschirm at mail.airmail.net
Sun Nov 12 19:00:38 PST 2000

I am having a maiolica feast gear class at my home in the North Dallas
suburb of Allen on Saturday, November 18th. There are a lot of period
ceramic designs that are quick and painless. Plates displaying heraldry
are very common in SCA period. I'm planning that class would start at
about 10:30AM and go on most of the day.  Allen is two exits north of the
Plano
Cinemark Legacy theater on Highway 75.

We will be using purchased bisque pieces. I will try to let you choose
whether you want to paint on the plain bisque or to paint on the maiolica
glaze. Plain bisque is much easier if you haven't done ceramics before. I
will show you how to do the maiolica glazing but the glaze needs to dry 24
hours before decorating. I am planning on using 8 inch and 10 inch plates.

The cost of materials will be $10. We will be painting using the little
plastic paint pans just like scribes. Early period styles had a very
limited color selection. The earlier pieces use mainly a copper green and a
brown manganese color. The color palette didn't really expand that much
before 1600. There are really only about 7-8 colors that I regularly use,
basically the colors in an 8 box of crayons.

It would help me with the expenses if attendees could possibly bring their
own paint brushes. I usually use just 3 sable brushes in size 6, 2, 5/0.
There are a lot of designs that can be completed in just a few hours. I
will also have a banding wheel that can be used to quickly paint bands of
color. I can help do the banding if you want.

If you would like to attend, please send me a response (RSVP) so that I can
have enough supplies. Let me know whether you want an 8 inch or 10 inch
plate and whether you want to use plain bisque of if you want to try maiolica.

A warning for people with alergies: I have two cats.

You can see samples of my work at:
http://web2.airmail.net/jmschirm/mywork.htm

In Service,
Keara Ryan
Aka:
Mary Schirmer
1221 Harvard Lane
Allen, TX 75002
972-390-8466

Directions: From highway 75 take the Bethany Exit. The Bethany exit is
two exits north of the Plano Cinemark Legacy theater. Head east on Bethany
past three lights (approximately 1.5 miles). Take a right on Aylesbury
into Heritage Park. Aylesbury is the first right after crossing a small
creek. Take Aylesbury all the way to the back of the neighborhood.
Aylesbury will make a sharp left curve at a park. Turn left onto the first
street after the curve. We are the third house on the left: 1221 Harvard
Lane, Allen, TX 75002. (972) 390-8466.