ST - Flagpole Hill-Lady Steppes

Kellie Hardy khemail at swbell.net
Sat Apr 21 21:38:11 PDT 2001

Well.

And there I was,bragging on everyone, about how well we discuss
important matters.

Look.  This subject IS about the entire Barony.  Dux brought up this
discussion with the very good and admirable intentions of serving the
fighting community better.  Well done, Dux.  Thank you for your
initiative.  But, without fully understanding all the ramifications of
that suggestion (I think), he touched some much deeper chords in many of
our citizens.

We as a Barony have long needed something to rally around; a common
point of interest.  It seems we have the makings of it in this issue.
The question is, are we going to let this discussion become a fireball
of division and indignation, or can we use it to reenergize the Barony
and launch a new chapter in our common history?  The answer is up to
each one of you.
Steppes is a very large barony, with several large and influential
households, lots of people with varied interests, etc.  That may make
some folks feel like they don't know their neighbors, or like they have
nothing in common with people who "belong" to some other sub-group.  How
ridiculous.  It is, in fact, our strength.

The point is, we are ALL part of our Barony.  This is our home.  We
should all feel at home here.  And to do that, we need to respect each
other, and the rights of all of us to have our voices heard.  It means
that if you really care about this group as a whole, you will be patient
and loyal while the Steppes and her citizens prepare for a new day.  It
also means that you must respect the Barony as an entity.  Rome wasn't
built in a day (to beat a tired old cliche').  If we are to feel like a
community, and really BE a community, we must act like a community.

Dux feels like he must defend the interest of the fighters under his
care.  Their Highnesses feel like they must defend the needs of their
squires, apprentices and protege's.  His Excellency and I feel like we
need to defend the interests of each individual in this Barony and its
Cantons.  All of those are legitimate needs, and a tall order.  But in
the end, we all need to take care of each other.  That is the only way
that this Barony will survive and thrive.

Please support your Barony--take part in the life of this group.  Get in
your car and go to a guild meeting or a practice of one kind or another,
or a work session of some sort.  Carpool if need be.  It doesn't matter
how long you have been away, or how often you think you will show up in
the future.  We will welcome you.  We need you.  Right now.

Please call me or speak to me personally if you want to discuss this
topic with me further.  Our barony deserves some real, personal
dialogue.

People, the details will sort themselves out.  Let us all take care of
the big stuff, shall we?

For Steppes,

Catrin
Lady Steppes