ST - Fighter Practice Question

Karen Calhoun kmcalhou at garlandisd.net
Mon Apr 23 06:35:09 PDT 2001

Your Excellencies, Dux and Duncan, and fellow members of the Barony,

 I would like to thank you for the month's grace period to allow myself and others an opportunity to voice our opinions about the move.  I, like others, am very busy and have, this very weekend, finally been able to view the park of choice.

I would like to start by saying that a move would suit us nicely.  We have been gathering at the same place for so long that we aren't noticed anymore.  Some, but not as much as we were.  We, as a group, need to find a location that would suit our needs and those of the future.  I agree that a move is needed.

When I drove by on Sat.  the park was in full use.  There were 2 birthday parties and a Boy Scout Troop having a kite flying contest.  The pavillion was croweded and there were tons of kids running around.

I am concerned about this park for several reasons.  One is the children.  I am concerned that the kids might wander into a fighting area and get tripped over, stepped on, or God forbid, hit.  I understand that marshalls should be there and doing their job, but hey, lots all agree, it could happen.

Second is the shade aspect.  The pavillion is very nice and has some great tables, but, I feel, it's not enough for the immediate residents and us.  I believe that we would have to surrender the pavillion to the birthday parties, etc, since they are the community that the park was meant to facilitate.  I understand that we could bring some of our own shade.  I have a large-ish pavillion that could be assembled by one person in 30 minutes that I wouldn't mind sharing with the group.

Third, that park is flat!  It has been my experience with very flat open areas that the earth tends to radiate heat.  I, not having seen this park in August, don't know if this park has this problem, but am concerned that it would.

I do like the location.  It was a quick drive down 190 to the park.  Since I live SOOO far north in Plano, it was nice to have something closer to my neck of the woods.

I would like to conclude with the suggestion that we continue looking at parks in our area.  I feel that a move would be a great shot in the arm for us, but don't feel that this is the park for us at this time.

In Service,

Katya