ST - Feedback on moving fighter practice?

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:30:56 PDT 2001

What Dux didn't mention is the really awesome castle that is there.  It has
one entry and is large enough for kids to play in for hours and hours with
little boredom factor.

I am certain that every fencer I know will want to have a town scenario in
there as well, it is that large and well built.

I have only seen the park once, but I really liked it.  Alot of the reason I
don't attend Sunday practice is because the environment at Flag Pole is not
really terrific.  I think it is pretty and was probably once a thriving
hospitilar environment, but on the occasions that I do appear, I don't see
any throngs of newcomers wanting to know what we are doing, and if you look
around, we could really use those newcomers right now to breath new life
into our group, and give us that added enthusiasm that we all need from time
to time.  We are always needing volunteers for demos, events, you name it,
and in an area this size, we should be able to attract alot of interested
people who will love our Barony and our game as much as we all do.

Another reason I don't attend Flag Pole Hill is because there are no
restrooms available.  I hate to be this direct, but what we are expected to
use is vile, disgusting and is no doubt breeding some new form of plague
with it's content of filth and lack of maintenance.

In addition, there has not been water available since the park maintenance
person removed the spigots from the water pipes, so we have had to truck in
our own.

I realize that there are people out there who are very emotionally attached
to the site because we have always used it.  But in truth, fighter practice
is for the fighters, and this site is much kinder to them.  It even has the
possibility of room for our archers, which would make stronger ties between
the communities.

So as an occasional fighter and spectator, I am all for moving it.  I would
even be comfortable fighting there because there is a restroom I can change
in, and a safe place for my kids to play while I am there.  There is a nice
pavilion for lunches or just resting in the shade, and the neighborhood is
nice.

I think the most important feedback needs to come from those who are the
consistent fighters, and I hope that everyone will go and see this park
before speaking their peace.  Like I said, I know that some of you are
attached to the Flag Pole Hill site, but change means new life and new
ideas, and I think that would benefit the group as a whole.

Larissa, writing not as Princess but as a resident of Steppes