[Steppes] Controversy

Mordock von Rugen mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:37:44 PDT 2001

>From: Hrldsmn at aol.com

>This is a friendly e-list for the use of the populace members within the
>Barony of the Steppes and there is no room here for insulting innuendo and
>argumentative attitudes. Any of you may feel free to contact me off this
>list
>if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hmmm.  This bears comment, as does Miguel's post (sorry I couldn't call,
Miguel, I can probably call Saturday afternoon).

"Argumentative attitudes" for one person is simple statement of disagreement
to another.  If the list is not open to disagreement, there is little point
in having it - unless its intention is simply to serve as a broadcast
medium, rather than a medium for discussion.

"Insult" - yes, I was insulting.  I am angry.  I will talk about that in a
moment.

"Innuendo" - no, I was very clear about what I meant.  I came right out and
said it.  I usually do.  If there is another meaning that can be read into
what I write that I don't come right out and say, you may safely assume that
this "hidden" or "implied" meaning is not my intention.

Now, we come to the crux of the matter.  I am angry.  I consider a public
forum intended for discussion of baronial subjects to be a proper place to
voice my anger, provided the anger is over something that does, or may,
affect the populace of the barony or some significant portion thereof.  I
consider the fighters of the barony (which I consider to include the
archers) to be a considerable portion of the barony.

Why am I angry?  I generally get angry when one of three things happens:
1) when somebody accuses me of something I did not do
2) when somebody is false with me in some manner
3) when somebody seeks to impact my life, or the lives of those I am
responsible for, in a negative manner.

I got angry over this subject because I thought that all issues related to
combat archery in public parks was resolved a long time ago.  The joint
practice at Flagpole Hill at which Fearghus participated (April of this
year?), which did not have parks approval, was the milestone in my mind on
the subject.  I felt that Ironwyrm's sudden reversal on the issue was both
#2 and #3.

Giving me a sermon about how honor and courtesy are so much a part of the
society that I have served for 20 years, and are necessary in all
interactions doesn't help (see #1).  There comes a time when courtesy
provides a shield for those who will take advantage of it to hurt this haven
of honor, integrity, truth, honesty, forthrightness, responsibility, and
courage that I love so much - and when that time comes it is time to be
blunt.  I accept that it was not Ironwyrm's intent to hurt our game in any
way - that he was acting in what he considered the barony's best interests.
My problem lies with his conduct, not his motives.

I apologize for any unpleasant feelings that my bluntness and directness may
have caused anyone.  I do not, however, apologize for my actions, as I feel
they were necessary and appropriate.

Dux