[Steppes] Good News from Today

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 13 13:56:08 PDT 2001

Five firefighters were found alive in the rubble of the WTC:

     http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/13/america.attack/

Many aeroports are open again:

     http://www.cnn.com/2001/TRAVEL/NEWS/09/13/airport.links/index.html

I have finally seen one aeroplane in the air, north of my office.  Just one, but it is such a wonderful sign!!!

And someone sent this link, which I think more than any other should be spread as far as possible:

      http://my.aol.com/editorial/images_myaol/MyNews/edit420new.jpg

I continue to be touched by the letters and emails I have seen.  Some are sent by colleagues to our offices; a few announce that although their offices in NYC were destroyed, all personnel are safe and they are working from alternate locations.  Some come to discussion lists I am on, both professional and otherwise, expressing condolences and horror.  They are from all over the world, assuring us that Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Korea, and so many more places, share our shock.  And if you look at the lists of the known dead, they came from all over the world: Australia, England, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Switzerland.

People I know, some friends and others merely acquaintances, reassure us that they are safe.  Some describe their experiences in the city.  A few are still unaccounted for, and we keep praying.  Some checked in after a long silence and explained that although they were safe, they had spent the day giving blood and volunteering to help where they could, or had to walk long hours to get home, or simply could not call out through jammed phone lines.

I have heard that five cars of medical supples left for Washington on Amtrak, and they have enough for another hundred cars - and that is just Dallas.  But also in Dallas, a mosque was shot at simply because it is a Muslim house of worship.  And when I went to a prayer service at my own congregation last night, the police presence was large and obvious.

I read an editorial this morning that said that the terrorists have not succeeded - if they were trying to tear the country apart, they have only made it stronger.  And they have hardened the resolve of the rest of the world against them, which we can hope will make it harder for them to hide and fester.

For those of you who think the above is too political, you know where your <DELETE> key resides........

                          ---= Morgan