ST - To those who know Sir Badon

Crystal aslyn2 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 6 17:55:17 PST 2001

Regarding Sir Badon, Juliana wrote:

> The good news is his appeal is in the process and he has oral arguments in
> New Orleans the same week many of us will be at Gulf Wars.  He says he is
> very fortunate to be granted the oral arguments as few cases get them and
> the appeal is generally doomed without them.

For those of you who do not know or are vaguely aware, this is very, very
true (Yes, Tadhg...I know you know....lol).  *Very* few cases get accepted
to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans.  Appellate Briefs are
submitted, some are ruled upon without the benefit of oral argument, and
even fewer are granted oral argument.  In nine years we only had one case
accepted for oral argument by the Fifth Circuit out of what seemed like a
bazillion submitted (at the time) (btw:  it did go on to the show).  The
criteria for acceptance is very high as there must be a new and\or very
compelling point of law at issue.

So, let me add my note to Juliana's that while acceptance of a matter for
oral argument before the Court does not generally infer success, it does
indeed bode well.

(Can you tell I'm a little stagnated teaching Kindergarten?  lol)

~Aslyn