ST - Edwin's comments on Steppes dynamics

Mordock von Rugen mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:20:51 PDT 2001

I'll agree that consistency on the part of our officers is crucial to
getting people to actively participate.  However, I'd like to note that
consistency isn't enough.

In the case of fighter practice, Francesca's consistency would have been
relatively unnoticed, if not for the initiative taken by Duncan, Connor,
Don, Hosey, and others to actively try to get folks on the hill - and to
echo Francesca's consistency with their own.

As you say - it can be hard to be noticed in a Barony so heavy with awards.
It nonetheless remains a truism that one person can't make a group activity
happen alone.

The example of fighter practice applies to all the rest of our activities -
those that are ongoing, active concerns are that way because of the
populace's interest and active participation.

To go out on a limb, I think that such active participation comes from
finding out what people want, and doing what we can to give it to them
(within reason, of course).  We need to pay attention to the fun of our
populace, and make sure that the things we offer are what people want.  If
we do that, we'll have active participation.  If we worry too much about
trying to satisfy all the "hats", even though they are usually playing at
the Kingdom level, we find ourselves paralyzed by conflicting desires.  And
even when we *are* able to satisfy the "hats", what we end up with doesn't
necessarily mean anything to those we are trying to get involved.

So, going farther out on the limb, I would suggest that (again, within
reason) we try to make our game fun for the new folks, the folks with
relatively few awards, and for those with awards who choose to play at the
Baronial level.  In other words, try to please those who are already
participating, or likely to participate if it's fun for them - and don't
worry so much about soliciting input or participation from those who've
already indicated that they are more concerned with Kingdom level things.

Besides, if it's fun, they'll join in anyway.

My two cents.  I'm putting on my flame-proof suit now....

Dux