ST - Steppes dynamics

Hrldsmn@aol.com Hrldsmn at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 19:11:49 PDT 2001

In a message dated 4/11/01 5:23:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com writes:

<< As you say - it can be hard to be noticed in a Barony so heavy with
awards.
 It nonetheless remains a truism that one person can't make a group activity
 happen alone. >>

 <<We need to pay attention to the fun of our
populace, and make sure that the things we offer are what people want.  If
we do that, we'll have active participation.  If we worry too much about
trying to satisfy all the "hats", even though they are usually playing at
the Kingdom level, we find ourselves paralyzed by conflicting desires.  And
even when we *are* able to satisfy the "hats", what we end up with doesn't
necessarily mean anything to those we are trying to get involved.>>

Oh, I think you have missed the point I was trying to make. I was not
suggesting we should 'play to all the hats', or that their opinions or
desires should take precedence over anyone else's. What I was trying to point
out is that, for the most part, people in the Steppes have played the same
way we have been for many years and, again for the most part, seem to be
quiet satisfied playing in that manner. We all tend to be a bit self absorbed
with our own interests in this particular group, but still manage to come
together to get done what needs to be done.

A great number of the accumulated hats and peers in this group certainly
consider themselves to be active members of the Barony in addition to playing
on a more kingdom level. None of us has any business trying to define what
constitutes 'active', and I have seen a great deal of trouble over the years
in various groups when that effort has been made.

<<So, going farther out on the limb, I would suggest that (again, within
reason) we try to make our game fun for the new folks, the folks with
relatively few awards, and for those with awards who choose to play at the
Baronial level. >>

I don't think this is going far out on a limb at all. We should be concerned
with new members and member retention. It is not at all hard to get noticed
in the Steppes if you jump in with both feet. The Steppes has always been
notoriously hard for new people to 'break into'. The successful new members
are those who do not wait to be courted, but jump right in without being
asked and do things within the group. We have never been a good group for
playing the shy along, more like a big loud Italian family that you have to
speak up in.

Francesca's efforts to help fighter practice grow were noticed and spoken of
in public venues like court as being worthy and valuable efforts a number of
times. So were those same efforts when made by Agilwulf as marshal before
her.

I think that the difference in our opinions is that I believe that the
majority of the barony is going about their business in a manner that
fulfills the priorities they each have for themselves and the group. For a
good number of years a fairly large segment of the populace has obviously not
felt that Sunday fighter practice was a priority. If a large enough segment
of the populace decides that it is a priority, it will naturally increase in
size without much campaigning. I do not feel however that any of us has any
business trying to force people to rearrange their priorities though. It is
not the job of the officers or nobles of any group to try and tell the
populace what they should think, what priorities they should have, or what
activities they should value. Individuals will set their own priorities and
decide what activities are of value for them and participate accordingly. As
I said, we are a Barony of individuals, who naturally enough share some
common interests and priorities, but who have never seen the need to
formulate 'institutional priorities' for the group as a whole.

As I have said before, we pull together when necessity dictates and over the
last 15 years have created the largest, richest barony in the kingdom, with
three of the most successful events held anywhere in Ansteorra each year. We
have obviously gained and retained members for that to be true. Our formula
for operation, while not like that which exists in other places with which
you may be familiar, seems to have served our needs well in the past. It will
change when a majority of the populace feels it should and puts their minds
to it, but I doubt that such change can be influenced or forced. Trying to
lead this group into a particular conclusion is much like the proverbial
herding of cats. We reach our conclusions in our own, often slow, time.

Theories of group dynamics have always been a Sociological interest of mine,
as has been the study of human nature, and I am delighted to have the chance
for this spirited discussion. Thanks!

Edwin, baron