[Steppes] Demo This Friday - A Knight's Tale

baron@elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Wed May 9 09:06:31 PDT 2001

Galen of Bristol here...

My dear friends in the Steppes:

Elfsea has resolved to do a demo for the opening of the
new movie, "A Knight's Tale", this Friday.

We wanted to do it at Grapevine Mills, a good central
location to both baronies, but they wouldn't have us.
We checked out other large mid-cities theaters, but the
best we could get was the large theater at Eastchase
and I-30 in west Arlington.

I don't yet have the exact time of the demo, I'll post
it as soon as I have it.

Y'all are welcome.  I hope you'll come out.  Our
purpose in doing this is recruiting; Elfsea needs new
members, and I assume Steppes could find room for some,
as well.  We plan to do the demo essentially in two
shifts so that some can see the movie while others run
the demo.

We're hoping to get some press coverage (TV & newspaper)
which should benefit all the metroplex groups.

Here's the text of the note I just posted to the Elfsea
list:

We ARE doing a demo this Friday!  It's at the theater
on Eastchase at I-30 in west Arlington.

- We need fighters.  Both styles.*
- We need marshals.*
- We need at least one really good herald.*
- We need folks ready to present the SCA in the best
possible light to the public.*
- We need at least one table.  Two or three might be
better.  (Who'll be able to bring stuff from the shed?)*
- We need photo albums, and A&S projects to show off.*
- Armand, can you bring your video monitor and some
extension cords?  Raimond, can you bring your copy
of "In Service To The Dream?"
- We need paper & pens to take down names & addresses
of interested people.*
- We need some sort of brochure or flyer about the SCA
to pass out.*
- We need (probably on a separate sheet) a list of
contacts for all the metroplex groups.*
- We need press coverage -- Caelin, can you put out a
press release to the TV stations and newspapers?
Emphasize how colorful it'll be.  (Don't anybody else
contact the press without first clearing it with
Caelin.)
- Banners, ideally on free-standing poles (concrete
floor).*
- We need list poles and ropes, probably for use on
concrete; I'll ask the Steppes if a few of their old
wooden ones might be available.
- We need to remember to emphasize the big public
points of the SCA:  fun, history, fighting, art,
knights, ladies, honor, heraldry, chivalry, royalty,
friendships.  NOT: drunken revelry and debauchery.*
- Timothy, what time do we need to be there?

No free tickets are being offered.  The chance to get
new members and publicity for the SCA in the DFW
metroplex is what's in it for us.

*(Indicates things I'll do personally, but would really
like other volunteers to do instead of, or with me.)

This is going to be a blast.  I can't wait!  Who's with
us?!

- Galen of Bristol
Baron of Elfsea