[Steppes] State of the Barony

Mordock von Rugen mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 08:46:00 PDT 2001

I'm glad to see these objectives - they are measurable, attainable, and
clear.  Now, we have to start working on the ways we're going to meet these
objectives.

I think it is very important to note that fighting is our most visible
activity, and the one that generally is our biggest draw for newcomers.  And
that growth will thus depend on trying to increase both the visibility and
the attendance for fighter practice (both heavy and light).

Visibility can be increased by doing demos, occasionally moving fighter
practice to other parks for a weekend or two, working to make fighters look
better on the field at practice (less duct tape, more tabards and tunics,
better looking armor, etc), and having non-fighting folks come in garb
and/or bring projects to work on while fighters are fighting.

Attendance can be increased by the simple expedient of getting more people
in garb at the practice.  We also have a lot of folks who have armor to
don't come to practice for various reasons - polling them to find what would
bring them to practice might be useful in making practice more
accessible/fun/whatever.  Perhaps we could start another practice, to
accomodate schedules, distance concerns, etc.  Regardless, more people in
garb will mean more people in armor, and vice versa.

I would also suggest making a one-time expenditure (outside the KM's budget)
for a good armor repair kit, some good loaner helms that can be purchased by
newbies, and some additional plastic armor for use (and purchase) by
newbies.  The existing leather armor is aging and some pieces are marginal
in terms of protection, anyway.  Shelling out money for three sets of good
loaner gear would make a big difference in terms of our ability to get
newbies interested, and kitted up so they don't have to keep borrowing the
loaner stuff.

And might I suggest one more objective?  Training and supporting at least
two new autocrats this coming year.  I'm talking people who have never
autocratted or held an office.  We need to foster our new blood, and we need
to train folks as they come into the SCA, if we are going to grow.  Let's
concentrate on getting new folks into office, autocrating events, and so on,
so we can tap into their fresh insights, energetic approaches, and new
visions.

The Dream is ever renewed and fresh, or it dies a slow death of stagnation.
I'm looking forward to helping this renewed focus and energized vision
revitalize our Barony.

Dux