[Steppes] Herb guild upcoming events

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Tue Oct 16 00:33:16 PDT 2001

As a reminder or to pique your interest, I thought I would mention some
of the herb guild's upcoming projects.  We will be working on several
projects that will make good largesse or gifts, with some of our efforts
going to the Baronial coffers.  Here are some details:

In November, we will put on a batch of Suzanna's famous cough syrup (and
after dinner liqueur!).  It will brew until the December meeting, when we
will decant it.  Start now to collect 1, 2, 3 and 4 ounce bottles.  For
the brewing, bring to the November meeting a herb good for respiratory
problems (yes, you have to do some research! or contact one of the guild
members for suggestions) and either honey or lemon juice or brandy
(cheap).

We will also be working on a way of adding ground herbs to votive
candles.  The ground herbs should be something that smells good when
burned.  My list of "instant incense" herbs includes allspice, gum
arabic, bay leaves, cedar, cinnamon, cloves, copal, frankincense,
juniper, myrrh, sages, thyme - perhaps you have others?

In December, we will decant the cough syrup into the bottles everyone has
been collecting.  Then we will make bath salts.  My recipe calls for 3
parts epsom salts, 2 parts baking soda, 1 part salt (sea salt is good).
food coloring and essential oils to smell (10 drops essential oil to 1/2
cup salt mixture).  lots of stirring is also required!  We can all take
turns.  Small baby food jars are good to put this in.

Other projects will be coming up in future months, including a bruise
ointment making party.  Stay tuned for more details.

Meetings are generally the second Monday of the month - location varies.
November meeting is Nov. 12 (Monday after 3 Kings) at 7.30 pm at
Suzanna's.  Directions will be posted separately, since I have already
babbled too long.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Suzanna, herbalist