[Steppes] Rules clarification

Lady Simone ui'Dunlaingh lady_simone at code-works.com
Wed Dec 19 19:25:19 PST 2001

Cynric,

Here is what the Participations handbook has on the requierments for your
helm it's from Section 3

hope it helps
Simone

A. Helms: The head must be covered by a helm.
1. Helms shall be constructed of steel of no less than 16 gauge, or of
equivalent material (equivalency to be determined by consultation with the
Earl Marshal). Be aware that steel of less than .0625-inch (1/16-inch or 1.6
mm) is too thin, even if it is sold as 16 gauge. Alternative materials such
as stainless steel, brass, bronze, or like materials are permissible as long
as the material is equivalent in strength to 16-gauge steel. (Note: The mass
of the helm is an important part of the protection. No titanium, fiberglass,
or other ultra-light materials may be used.) If a spun-metal top is used in
the construction of the helm, it shall be formed from, at the minimum,
14-gauge steel. The process of spinning the top thins the metal, thereby
requiring a heavier gauge. All joints or seams must be constructed using one
or more of the following methods:

a. Welded on the inside and outside or with a single bead that extends
through both surfaces.
b. Lapped joints: must be welded or brazed at the edges of both pieces or
riveted with solid iron or steel rivets no less than 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) in
thickness spaced no greater than 2 inches (5.1 cm) apart. Rivets that are
3/16 inch (4.8 mm) or greater in thickness may be placed up to 2-1/2 inches
(6.5 cm) apart.

c. Screw and or pop type rivets or any other lightweight rivets are not to
be used.

d. Rivets used to secure lapped joints will not be placed closer than 1/8
inch (3.2 mm) from the outer edge of the overlapped piece.

e. All welds and brazes must be sound and all rivets must be secure.

2. The helm must extend a minimum of 1-inch (25 mm) below the chin and
jaw-line when the head is held erect.
3. The helm will have no openings that will allow the entry of a measured
1-inch (25-mm) diameter metal dowel.
4. Faceplates and/or visors on helms:

a. Constructed with metal bars:
i. Shall have such bars secured to the exterior of the helm.
ii. Shall have such bars secured at all points of intersection.
iii. Shall have enough intersecting/supporting bars to prevent the openings
between spans from being enlarged or dangerously distorted during normal
combat conditions.
iv. Bars used in the face guard shall be fabricated from steel, of not less
than 3/16" (4.8 mm) in diameter, or equivalent. If the span between
crossbars is 2 inches (5.1 cm) or less 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) diameter bars may
be used.
b. Faceplates and/or visors that open, or are removable, must utilize a
suitable and safe method of secure fastening to prevent their opening during
combat.
c. Faceplates constructed with perforated steel will be constructed with
such materials having a suitable thickness so as to provide an equivalent
level of protection as those faceplates that have been properly constructed
with bars.
5. The helm will have no major internal projections. Minor internal
projections of any necessary structural components will be dulled and
padded. All other metal will likewise be free of any sharp edges, burrs,
slag, et cetera.
6. All parts of the helm that come in contact with the wearers head when
worn will have a minimum of 1/2 inch (12.5 mm) closed-cell foam padding or
the equivalent. Any part of the helm that is likely to come into contact
with the wearers unprotected neck or body will also be suitably padded.
7. All helms will be equipped with a sturdy chin and/or jaw strap or an
equivalent means of preventing the helm from being dislodged during combat.
A "snug fit" is not an equivalent. If the helm is designed so as to stand
away from the face, this chin and/or jaw strap should also protect the
wearer against the helm being knocked back into the wearer's face by any
legal blow or thrust.
8. Chinstraps will consist of:

a. 3/4 inch (18.8 mm) or wider, 8 oz. (1/8 inch - 3.2 mm) belt grade leather
b. 1/2 inch (12.5 mm) or wider heavy nylon strap

c. Any equivalent combination of nylon or leather straps that equal the
above standards.

d. Commercially available "paratrooper" 4-point chinstrap or equivalent

e. SHOESTRINGS or NARROW LEATHER STRAPS are NOT ALLOWED in or on the chin
area.

9. Eye Wear: The lens of all eyewear shall be shatterproof industrial safety
glass or plastic. Ordinary glass lenses are prohibited. The wearing of
contact lenses or "sports glasses" is strongly recommended.