[Steppes] Flagpole Hill recognized as rare Prairie Remnant

Aaron Robb philo_net at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 15:36:43 PDT 2002

Remember, if you're like me and live out of Dallas, point out that you
meet friends there and then buy gas/soda/dinner/whatever while you're in
the area. Remind them that good parks are not only nice for the citizens,
but bring in tax and commercial dollars as well.

Philo
--- Brent Ryder <borekvv at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does this mean they will put more money into the site and fix the picnic
> tables? :D
>
> Has everyone written their letters to the city asking that they be
> fixed?
>
> Can someone post to whom those letters should be addressed and to where
> they
> should be sent?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know :)
>
> Borek
>

> >From: "Jann Mays" <hlgabrielle at hotmail.com>
> >To: steppes at ansteorra.org
> >Subject: [Steppes] Flagpole Hill recognized as rare Prairie Remnant
> >Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 11:45:40 -0500
> >
> >Those of us interested in White Rock Lake and Flagpole Hill (our old
> >stomping grounds) might want to read this article.  It seems that
> Flagpole
> >Hill is part of the original Blackland Prairie that Dallas was built on
> and
> >is one of the few remnants of the praire left in Texas.  Here is the
> >section
> >on it.  The article in its entirety can be found through the link
> below.
> >
> >"Several areas at White Rock have been recognized as Blackland Prairie
> >remnants, mainly on the eastern side of the lake at Norbuck and
> Flagpole
> >Hill. According to Jim Eidson, land steward for the Texas Nature
> >Conservancy, this land is some of the rarest prairie remnants in Texas
> >because it is on chalk rock, which saved it from being plowed for
> cotton."
> >
> >http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/stories/RPTS/Apr0502a.htm
> >
> >Gabrielle
> >
> >" Le Bonheur est une trajectoire et non une destination.
> >ALORS : Travaille comme si tu n'avais pas besoin d'argent.
> >Aime comme si jamais personne ne t'avait fait souffrir.
> >ET Danse comme si personne ne te regardait !! "

=====
---
Aaron D. Robb, M.Ed., NCC, LPC

Malo periculosan libertaten quan quietun servitium.
Better freedom with danger than peace with slavery.
                                        -Palatine of Posen