[Steppes] Event Changes - long

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 2 08:07:24 PDT 2002

Unto the Populace of the Barony of the Steppes, the greatest barony in the
Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra, doth Baron Borek Vitalievich Volkov send
greetings

Last night at business meeting, Baroness Catrin announce the Crown's desire
to decrease the number of events that were occuring on the same weekend
kingdom wide. As a populace, Her excellency asked us to think about the
issue and be proactive as opposed to possibly reactive to a Crown edict if
nothing is actually done along this line.

As everyone knows, the Barony of the Steppes hosts three events a year as
many baronies do. What makes ours different is that since we are centrally
located, our events are better attended by the populace of Ansteorra as well
as having Crown Presence at least two if not all three of our Kingdom
Calendar Events.

These things are all well known, now on to the issue at hand.

Steppes Twelfth Night is in very early January, and Steppes Warlord is at
the far end of May with a time difference of almost five months between
each. Some three months later is Steppes Artisan and two months after that
is Fall Court.

My proposal is this, we combine Warlord and Steppes Artisan into one event.
Yes this makes for one more large portion to the an already crowded event.
On the otherside, there is already an A&S contest at Warlord, the hall is
rented and open both days already so it would not be an extra expense, and
we could have a deputy event steward oversee this facet of the event (sort
of an event within an event).

The hard part would be for the past Artisans, and more especially Their
Excellencies, who would have to find time during the day to judge the
entries as well as oversee the Warlord and/or Champion list(s). This could
be alleviated somewhat by having the judging over two days (with a specific
time frame [around the lunch hour] for cooking entries) thus giving the
judges more time to look over the entries and the Artisans more time to
expound upon their work and research.

This is, of course, a mixed burden/blessing for the Artisans themselves who
would have to man their tables for two days. Something might be arranged in
the way of timeslotting things, but that could be cumbersome and
impractical. Details, it is always details isn't it?

As most will have noted, I have left off mentioning anything about Fall
Court. This event was designed by Baron Edwin as an event for us so that we
could all just enjoy an event without having to just work the event. I would
like to see this time of rest to continue and do not see why it should need
to be removed since it is not a kingdom calendar event.

Also, if the barony wanted, I am sure we could host a Kingdom Event in case
someone thought we were not busy enough ;)

My personal choice would be to not remove any of our events, but we are
subjects of a Monarchy and the Crown's word is to be heeded if not taken as
outright law. Other opinions and view will be interesting to read. Between
us all, I am sure we can work out a solution that will benefit both the
Kingdom and the Barony.

HE Borek Vitalievich Volkov CB, CSM, OOS, Star Emeritus
Sable Roundel Herald
Apprentice to Sheik Da'ud ibn Auda, al-Jamal Herald, OL, OP, CB, Lion

The supreme happiness of life is
the conviction of being loved for yourself,
or more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself.
                               ~Victor Hugo~