[Steppes] Event Changes--Why are event numbers down?

Denni Lozos webefroggy at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 05:23:36 PDT 2002

Hi Y'all

Pettrucio said...

> the reason a particular event may not be attended is not
> because there is a plethora of events, but
> because the event has nothing to offer outside the same cookie
> cutter event that happens everywhere

I fully agree. One of the biggest causes of this is our Kingdom
law reserving "Perpetual Event Dates" for the Baronies. First,
it makes it kind of hard to come up with dates for new,
interesting events if you have to struggle with getting it on
the calendar over a *year* in the future (believe me, I've
tried). Second, it encourages repetition and stagnation by
legislating "Sacred Cow" events that no one wants to change
because "we've always done that". Every group wants their own
"special" event, but if they are all special then none are
special.

So, paradigm shift time (I hate that phrase), which of the 13
Baronies is going to step forward and decide to make a change?
Where do you draw the line on ancient and venerable events?
Warlord is going on 30 years, Stargate Baronial around 28,
Namron Protectorate for 26ish, and on down to the younger groups
like Bonwicke and Northkeep, both having their perpetual events
for around 6-7 years.

The point is that I doubt any kind of change is going to be
accepted easily, but I think the best idea to promote flexiblity
and creativity in the future is clean the slate (of PED's)and
make groups responsible for securing their own dates on the
calendar.

regards,
Timo
(posting from Allyson's account)