[Steppes] Re: Steppes digest, Vol 1 #577 - 5 msgs

Judy Nesmith ladydunpiobair at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 16:36:01 PDT 2002

Greetings Unto the List,
Sir Thorkel, Baroness Alys, Lady Morgan, Lord Iames, m'lord Brendan, m'lady
Rain Dove,

My sincere apologies if I have offended any one with my posts.  I have had
about 12 hours of sleep in the last 6 days and may have mis-spoken out of
exhaustion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are we are unwelcome at this event?
Yours in Service,
Lord Iames Lochlainn
Steppes Demo Coordinator

We (the SCA) are not unwelcome at Celtic Heritage Festival the situation is
entirely in hand. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to come and enjoy the
festivities that is why we have been putting it on for the last 11 years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lady Siobhan,
You might have had better results in getting the discussion closed if you had
said something like "we are working with the Celtic Heritage Festival for
future events. I'll let you know when arrive at....blah blah blah"....
By crypticaly saying "Please remove this discussion from the list" you have
GUARANTEED further discussion. I'm afraid many of us don't respond well to
being told what we can and cannot discuss, especially when the discussion was
started so innocently on such a seemingly innocuous subject.
I'm not trying to critisize, and for all I know there could be something
horrible going on, but I just wanted to let you know how it looked,
objectively. Perhaps you could post something that will defuse the discussion
without sounding quite so dictatorial, as I'm sure that was not your intent.
Baroness Alys
cc James Cleek, Steppes Demo-Coordinator

It was never my intent to tell any one what to discuss and what not to discuss
and I in no way meant to be "dictatorial" in any sense of the word, I was
trying to ask nicely.

There are lots of things going on behind the scenes in the
Scottish/Irish/Celtic community that have put many SCA demos in jeopardy.  I am
working very hard in several organizations and venues to try and educate these
areas about the SCA and keep our exposure at these events.  The less people
bombarding them the better i.e. the Ranger Rick issue.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unto Lady Siobhan does Sir Thorkel Magnusson send Greetings!

Just a word of advice. The question of why there was no SCA presence at the
Heritage festival is a legitimate topic of discussion. Treating the topic the
way you are is only going to lead to rampant speculation which generally is far
worse than whatever the truth may be. The tactic of "take this off-list" never
works...Ansteorrans don't like secrets much. You would be far better off to
simply state what the reasons were, without pointing fingers unnecessarily, as
well as offer whatever plans there may be to correct the issues if there are
any.

Best regards, Thorkel

Yes, Your Excellency, I know ""take this off-list" never works...Ansteorrans
don't like secrets much." unless the list moderator gets involved and I did not
want that to have to happen.  I had to try though.  The reasons cannot be
stated without pointing fingers unnecessarily and there are no issues to have
plans to correct regarding Celtic Heritage.

Lady Morgan,

We had a lovely conversation yesterday and I know you understand where I am
coming from. ;-D

In closing, I will ask again that I be e-mailed privately to discuss this
subject and for information on how you can help.  I will not respond to any
further post to the list.

Your humble servant,
Slainte,
Siobhán (bosss)