[Steppes] A message about your hearts

Catherine Williams cathywms at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 07:14:30 PST 2002

Actually, I am subscribed to the list, I just posted
from my work address.  If you all don't know, a
frayman was taken off the field on Thursday because of
a heart-related problem.  Since I work for the
American Heart Association, this subject is near and
dear to my heart.  If anyone ever has any questions
though, please feel free to ask.  I don't pretend to
be a chirurgeon, but I do have some great information
I can give out mundanely.  I will probably be at the
Elfsea practice this Sunday, but will make it out to
Steppes practice probably the first weekend in April
and I'll bring some stickers.

Fray-chicky Pedro

--- Chiara <chiara at io.com> wrote:
> This is a post from someone not subscribed to the
> list. Please reply to them
> directly with your questions. Thank you. :)
>
> Considering the events at Gulf War (specifically the
> res battle...) and how
> many people have risk factors for cardiovascular
> disease, I am posting the
> warning signs for heart attack and stroke.  Please,
> everyone, read through
> these.  It is important for everyone to know.  Even
> if you are 100% healthy,
> the person sitting/fighting next to you may not be.
> This becomes even more
> important at an event when hospitals are likely to
> be farther away and the
> 911 system may not be available.  Please know when
> to call a chirurgeon or a
> hospital.
>
> Heart Attack:
> * Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve
> discomfort in the
> center of the chest that lasts more than a few
> minutes, or that goes away
> and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable
> pressure, squeezing, fullness
> or pain.
> * Discomfort in other areas of the upper body.
> Symptoms can include
> pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back,
> neck, jaw or stomach.
> * Shortness of breath. This feeling often comes
> along with chest
> discomfort. But it can occur before the chest
> discomfort.
> * Other signs: These may include breaking out in a
> cold sweat, nausea
> or lightheadedness
> Stroke:
> * Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or
> leg, especially on
> one side of the body
> * Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or
> understanding
> * Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
> * Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance
> or coordination
>
> * Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
> Please call 911 if you or someone else has these
> symptoms.  Teenagers have
> been having heart attacks.  Children can have a
> stroke.  (A stroke is when
> your brain does not get blood due to a block or a
> hole in a blood vessel.
> There are now ways of treating a stroke, but it is
> imperative that it be
> caught in time.  Some drugs can only be used for
> certain types of strokes
> within a very short time period-around 3 hours
> afterwards.)

=====
"Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...
they did it by killing all those who opposed them."