[Steppes] NASCAR and Springfaire

Greylond Aston greylondaston at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 2 18:10:20 PST 2002

Greetings all. I've heard and read on various lists
many of the populace of this area refering to going to
Springfaire and concern about the NASCAR weekend. If
you don't live near TMS, Texas Motor Speedway, and
have never been to a NASCAR weekend then please take
heed of my words. I grew up in Southwestern Virginia,
an area that culturally holds NASCAR drivers as
Heroes. We didn't have, and still don't, professional
sports teams, but we have the drivers. The obssesion
that many in this area have for the Cowboys is the
same that we have for NASCAR. Most of us growing up
there held Richard Petty and Cale Yarborough in the
same awe as anyone you care to name in the Cowboys'
history. But I ramble on, sorry.

A NASCAR weekend is like an SCA event, the full effect
cannot be related by words alone. It can only be
experienced. And the good news is that from what I've
heard and read the ones held here aren't up to the
crowding and traffic jams of the older and more famous
ones. I know people who book their tickets to races on
the east coast a year or two in advance, and the
tracks sell out a year in advance also, but again, I
ramble on, sorry.....

I want to use this to warn people that there is not
just one race that you will have to contend with on
Sat with people trying to get in and get out, although
that is part of it. There are races scheduled Thur,
Fri, Sat and Sun and then there are the qualifying
runs. The people who come to camp for the weekend at
the track have already begun arriving and they plan on
staying until late Sun or Mon. The worst traffic will
more than likely be on Sat but don't be suprised to
see some traffic problems every day. My advice is to
get onsite as soon as you can and stay as long as
possible. And please, don't think that you'll just
drive as far as you can get and turn off as soon as
the traffic gets bad. Plan now on how to get there by
one of the back roads and don't get anywhere near the
114/35 interchange. The Springfaire website has some
good maps, www.elfsea.org/springfaire . And hope that
I'm wrong and traffic isn't that bad, but it would be
safe to plan for it.

YIS

Greylond Aston