Fwd: Re: [Steppes] Our plans for Warlord.....

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Fri May 17 05:20:53 PDT 2002

>Far be it from us to question your word, but surely sightings of this
>querulous ne'er-do-well cannot be so totally without foundation. For >the
>most exquisite Baronesses of our fair Steppes and Elfsea have >received
>word from the south, revealing that the dread piratess draws >nigh. And
>that good Lord Sebastian should also carry word of a >sighting, of plunder
>most vile - nay, my dear Baron, this cannot be >mere circumstance!

Lady, As it is the word of my Baroness and that of the Baroness of Elfsea, I
can scarce repudiate the assertion and will, of course, do all in my power
to aide my barony should anything untoward occur as is my duty as a noble of
Ansteorra and resident within the fair lands of the Steppes.

I would say that surely any such infamous pirate would surely have heard
that their impending arrival had been discovered and would choose to attack
at a different time yet goad on these rumors such that they become, as I
have said, the bleating of the feeble of mind. Thus if a real attack does
come, we will be unprepared and in disbelief that such should befall us. I
urge one and all to give little heed to these tidings and watch more closely
those who spread them to the fair ears of our beloved Baronesses that we may
know the conspirators you speak of. They would pull wool over our eyes and
lull us into disbelief and carelessness.

Let our guards and sea watch pray heed to their duties so that if this wench
of a sea dog should dain to come upon our shores, we will have more than
enough forwarning and can proceed in a more orderly fashion to the pirate's
demise.

>I recall an old platitude that carries much weight in this regard - >once
>is chance, twice is coincidence, but thrice is conspiracy. That >such
>correspondence between a Baron of our kingdom and so nefarious a >being as
>Jaquote de la Hay should fall into our hands merely >corroborates the idea
>of conspiracy, do you not concur? Especially to >cast suspicion upon your
>august personage. Surely, good gentles, we >are faced with cunning, crafty
>villains who know no bounds in their >treachery!

Such worries only play into the hands of the nefarious. Have you stood upon
our shores and seen the pirates? That they have been seen to set sail from
Spaina does not mean they seek to land upon our fair shores. Nay, it would
be more the cunning that they should land elsewhere whilst spreading rumor
and building dissention here. They would then be free to land where they
were least expected and could reap their unjust reward all the easier.

>I must away to my lady Baroness, to offer my services in preparing >against
>such an invasion as may occur, and carry word to Brother >Rafael that he
>should stand ready should battle arise, for there will >be many wounded.

Yea good lady, your services will be well received by our gracious Baroness
Catrin and I know your desire to help our fair land of the Steppes will not
fall on deaf ears. Brother Rafael is always welcome as chirurgeons seem
scarce of late and I am sure he will be put to good use by the benevolence
of our Baron and Baroness to ease any suffering of their people. Steppes
Warlord come nigh and I am sure there will be wounds to tend to if nothing
else.

>Stay safe and guard thy countenance well, for treachery comes like a >thief
>in the night upon us...
>
>In most humble service,
>
>Elysia de Solares

The same to you and yours good lady and pray heed my words of spreading such
words of pirates. You play into their hands and could relax our guard at a
time when they could sorely be needed. Rumors will spread panic and fear
among the people and you do them poor service by your actions.

God Speed

Baron Borek