[Steppes] Re: Event themes- was Thoughts on Change

Hrldsmn@aol.com Hrldsmn at aol.com
Sun Jun 9 20:49:51 PDT 2002

I would like to say here that when one of our major events has been 'themed'
the themes have usually been steward driven, with the concept proposed by the
potential autocrat who is bidding for the event and agreed upon by the
noble(s) and seneschal. Weeding through proposed themes presented by stewards
is one of the issues we consider when selecting the autocrat. I freely admit
that while this is how it has usually been done it isn't necessarily the only
way.

I do personally like doing it this way because from my experience here it is
more difficult to find people to want to bid on events where the 'theme' has
been predetermined. Designing a theme is a big part of the satisfaction many
of our past stewards have had. This method of choosing themes also helps
assure that people don't just come up with nifty complicated themes that they
would like to see but don't really want to help create, thus leaving more
work for the autocrats once they are selected.

I am very wary of really tight themes for our major events, most particularly
Warlord, as themes can be somewhat limiting and they are particularly
difficult to maintain with any quality over a four day event. "Better to do
nothing than to do anything poorly." This really is just a personal
preference on my part. I like seeing Warlord have a broader theme based on
baronial history, baronial heraldry, a particular selected color theme, etc.
That supplies unifying points without tying the event to one particular or
narrow time period. As these type themes can be expressed in the work of most
periods present in the SCA's venue they provide a better chance for all
participants the participate.

Twelfth Night can handle a tighter theme as it is at best (or worst depending
on how much you like court events) approximately a 12 hour event. Twelfth
Nights have a history of being more successful with themes, which have
usually been tied to either a nationality, particular historic event, or
date.

I will look forward to both receiving Twelfth Night 2003 bids and bids for
Warlord XXX from anyone who is interested in the events and I am sure that
many good ideas and themes will cross Their Excellencies desks and mine as we
make our decisions.

Baron Edwin FitzLloyd
Seneschal of the Steppes