[Steppes] State of the Barony musings

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 21 07:26:19 PDT 2002

Howdy all,

Last night's 'State of the Barony' meeting went well. The issue of moving to
Flag Pole Hill was resolved with details to follow; A community project of
fixing the picnic tables at the park was discussed, something that the
Barony as a whole has not done in a very long time; The question of holding
a Passe de Arms at Steppes Artisan, after much input, was overwhelmingly
approved; and many goals were set for the Barony went along with a
discussion of what we all felt made the barony a success. (I'm sure someone
can list them all)

In my relatively short time in the SCA and more specifically the Barony of
the Steppes (9 years this past Warlord), many things have changed. I
remember when we had inkle weavers making the cords for our awards, which is
sadly not being done any more but which I am going to use my poor skills to
rectify.

I remember when more of the prizes we gave out were hand made by our
artisans and when we made up a basket of kingdom related largess for TRMs to
give out at at Gulf Wars and Pennsic. Sadly very little of this is being
done and encouraged any more and I cannot remember when I have seen a call
go out for such.

I remember going to Flag Pole Hill (the Hill) and holding commentary
sessions with anyone interested; watching the heavy and light fighting (when
there was also a wednesday night light fighter practice at Walnut Hill Rec
Center); learning embroidery and armor making and other crafts; brought food
for a potluck and had an archery practice. Hopefully these will happen again
with the move bad to the Hill.

At Walnut Hill Rec Center, I remember the light fighter practices, the dance
practices and occaisionally a business or populace meeting.

Many things have come and are now gone. Last night I saw a great many new
faces who might be interested in some of these things happening again. There
is nothing stopping us in this but our desire for them to happen and someone
willing to lead the rest of us and see they live again.

I have heard of the need for many items of regalia for the Barony and have
started working with Fritz and Catrin on forming a group to work on these
items. The Barony of the Steppes is the Second Barony created in Ansteorra
and as far as I am concerned, we are second to none. What we do sets a
standard for the kingdom to live up to. We hold two if not three of the
largest events in the kingdom and have TRM's attend at least two of them
regularly. At Steppes Artisan I have even heard of a group of laurels making
a regular trip from out of kingdom just to attend the event. The Barony is
in the limelight and we should look better than all the rest. With the
artisans of the Steppes, we can do this. If you are interested in helping
with the projects to make our presence at Ansteorra's events more
magnificent, then let me know and together we will make the other baronies
vert with envy.

My Laurel, Master Da'ud ibn Auda, is fond of saying, 'Your in the SCA, Stop
living in the past'. I am not looking to live in our past. I am looking to
live in a better and brighter future.

Borek