[Steppes] Warlord Court - Dessert Contest

morgancain@earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 10 08:22:10 PDT 2002

>>> What a keen idea - the Barony might want to do something
>>> (a warm fruit tart selection maybe, that way refrigeration
>>> isn't an issue) as the "base" dessert, and then encourage
>>> others to bring in contest recipies.

Actually, a "warm fruit tart" is the perfect breeding ground for all kinds
of nasty problems.  Frankly, from a health standpoint I would have concerns
about a dessert contest and revel at Warlord.  Unless we can guarantee a
space for things to be kept cool, we have to rely on people's coolers, and
I know not everybody is as concerned as I (and some others I know) about
keeping meats separate from baked goods, keeping the ice at a proper level,
draining water, etc.  Frankly, I don't want to eat a cheesecake that is wet
from melted ice and was stored in a chest that also held the steaks for
last night's supper and eggs for today's breakfast.

If by "warm" you mean "room temperature" then it might be OK, but again,
certain foods lend themselves to this kind of service better than others.
Cookies and cakes (some recipes, anyway) are period and hold up very well
to non-refrigerated storage.

A dessert contest and table sounds like a good idea, but we're supposed to
be missing the bad parts of the Middle Ages in our re-creation - and one of
the bad parts is food poisoning.

                             ---= Morgan (pedantic cook)

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
                                   ---= Thomas Paine