[Steppes] Sunday War Practice at Flagpole Hill?

Cleek, James M. James.M.Cleek at abc.com
Thu Jul 18 10:23:43 PDT 2002

As far as the Fletching goes we will be demonstrating and teaching. I would
not expect to take home arrows from the hill. It would be better to learn
there and inspect some of the equipment and parts so that you could order
the necessary materials and then come to one of the Bowyers and Fletchers
guild meetings to actually fletch your own.

If you can get to the supplies you will need.
At least 1 dozen shafts spined to your bows draw weight.
3 dozen fletches, 1 dozen of one color for your cock feather and two dozen
of another color for the rest.
One dozen Field points
One dozen Nocks
Ferrule tight Hot melt glue
Fletch tight cement

These are the basics but I would recommend that you seal your shafts with
polyurethane or something similar after you cut them to length and taper
them. This requires a tapering tool, dipping tube and some polyurethane. You
need to let the shafts dry for at least 24 hours before you try to fletch
them. These materials are all available from the guild as well as fletching
jigs.

Again I highly recommend you sit down with us at fighter practice and learn
the basics we can then guide you to some of the better suppliers for your
materials. Since many of the guild members already own the tools if you let
us know when you are going to come to a meeting we will make sure that they
are there for you to use.

Yours in Service,
Lord Iames Lochlainn
Steppes Bowyer and Fletchers Guild Leader