[Steppes] Osage harvesting (was Steppes Bowyers Guild)

jspinks@ix.netcom.com jspinks at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 19 11:01:48 PDT 2002

Having been a house remodeler in a previous life and working on a lot of old
houses- yes bois d'arc was used heavily instead of concrete piers and you can
still find it under some old houses.
Jacques

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:04:41 -0700 Patrick Cuccurello <pat at adtelusa.com>
wrote:

> This may sound bizarre coming from me, but do you plan to burn
> the stuff not good/straight enough for bows? some carvers love the stuff-
>  for the color and the durability- might be an after market or
> some such for
> the non-bow
> sections, if you could connect with them...
> Pyro- I don't mind burning the useless stuff...call me,eh?

Just as a warning folks....it doesn't burn well.  It throws hot sparks when
it pops, and that happens a great deal.  Plus, you almost need an acetylene
torch to get it going.  Out where we are, in the country, the elders tell us
they used this stuff for the piers under the farmhouses.  I guess the
termites won't even touch the stuff.

If you want some stuff for carving and woodworking, I already have a number
of logs that are cut and have been seasoning for a year of more.

Pet.