[Steppes] What's up?

jwains jwains at saintmail.net
Wed Oct 16 08:42:07 PDT 2002

Regarding 12th Night - Yes, we have event stewards.  I was
awarded the bid at the September business meeting; Lady
Lavina Bakhous is my co-autocrat.  The theme is
Shakespeare's 12th Night.  I hope to have a live production
(not hostage dinner theater) of the play; Elysia has offered
to take over the production/direction duties, so if anyone
is interested in being a part of the cast, they should check
in with her. There will be a visit from Queen Elizabeth I
who will be one of the judges for the annual dessert
competition (special consideration given to Elizabethan
sweets and comfits!).  Mister Shakespeare will also be in
attendance and will be auditioning actors for an opening in
his troupe (competition requires a monologue from one of his
plays and can be done in solo or duet [for instance, Portia
and Shylock the quality of mercy dialog]).  Weather
permitting, we hope to have some sortof Shakespearian
swordplay display or competition, but that has not been
finalized and hopefully some Elizabethan dance lessons or
display.  I'm also working on some other Elizabethan-themed
happenings such as a flattery or flirtation competition, but
nothing final on that yet.  The annual table decorating and
costuming contests will be Elizabethan themed as will the
feast.  At this point, I think we will also be hosting the
kingdom bard competition.  We need worker bees and
volunteers for every aspect of the event.  Please contact me
if you would like to help out in any area.  Many thanks.

Julianna Vertue