[Steppes] Fwd: Re: Blackwork Question

Dawn Rummel dsrummel at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 09:35:58 PDT 2003

I forwarded the blackwork question to Mistress Gwenneth - her answer is below. Antonia

> A question was posted to the Steppes List concerning whether animals
> and/or insects (specifically spiders) appear in period blackwork. I
> thought you might be a good person to ask. Can I forward your answer
> to the list?

Sure. Animals and insects were very popular designs. Some of the
animals I have seen on period examples include lions, dogs, rabbits,
camels, horses, phoenix, and monkeys. They are usually found in the
later, more naturalistic styles, often in allegorical scenes. On the
more stylized floral patterns, birds, bees, flies, beetles,
butterflies, moths, spiders and webs, caterpillars, grasshoppers,
wasps, worms, and snails are often found perched on vines or flying
between them.

Gwenneth

Antonia/Dawn

It's the little things in life...