[Steppes] Gum Arabic spotted cheap

letebts at earthlink.net letebts at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 17 17:02:50 PDT 2003

In case some of you don't know what gum arabic is for, at least
calligraphy/illumination-wise:
it's a great glue to hold pigment together and get the media to stick to
scroll surfaces. It's "tears" of a particular tree's sap, ground to
facepowder sized particles, which has had distilled water added to make it
liquid.

It also comes without the water, still in its powder form and lasts
indefinitely on the shelf in that form. You just mix what you need and let
it set over night, stirring before use, of course.

Don't throw it out if it changes from that light tan to an aged dark caramel
color. It will still work, but use the new stuff for lighter pigments, the
older, darker gum arabic for darker colors. No worries, "mate"!

If it turns over in your "tackle box" and dries, like mine did ;-0  , just
empty everything it hasn't stuck to the box, pour water in and let it set
for a few days to reconstitute, then swish it out. All new!  :-)

Thanks, Edwin, for the local source. Will have to check it out!

Lete (just trying to be a helpful scribe...)