[Steppes] Saris, time period, and Warlord

Lisa Duke arabella at elfsea.net
Tue Apr 22 10:42:56 PDT 2003

Linet, I am so glad you are having fun playing our game.  It's addicting
isn't it?

Have you considered that going to Steppes Warlord might be traveling away
from your home to another land.  Then you could "do as the Roman's do" or in
this case "as Indian's do".

I have several Sari's which I bought to cut up for trim now I will wear them
before I cut them up.  Thanks for whoever posted the sari draping
instructions.  I needed that.
HL Arabella

Subject: Re: [Steppes] Saris

I took no offense, my good Lady, I simply don't want anyone to think that I
am using the title without having earned it. I understand about the climate
thing, believe me, I do. Having moved to Texas last year form the glorious
cool green-ness of the Oregon Coast, I am very much aware of the difference
in climate. I have no intention in dressing in furs or wools, but I have
been looking for period appropriate fabrics, or as close as I can
get...linens, cotton/linen, and linen/rayon blends that look like linen, of
the lightest weight that I can find. I plan on making some very light garb
of appropriate style from them. One advantage of the style is that I will
not need to worry so much about sunburn or bug bites. I do plan to cheat a
bit, however by making a skirt to wear under my gown instead of a full
length underdress. Not really a cheat, maybe but not as common as a full
chemise, perhaps. I took garb into serious consideration when choosing my
period of play. I don't have to worry about corsets or any of that *shudder*
confinement. I am not a purist. I have one point in which I will not follow
the typical standards of my time period. Call me vain, but I hate what a
wimple does to me. I will wear a veil. Have found some very nice very
lightweight fabric for that, too, but I will pass on the wimple.

I thank you for your instruction. I am looking forward to the upcoming
Warlord with great excitement and with increasing my knowledge of the game
we play and the dream that we share.

Yours in service to the dream,

Linet