[Steppes] Speaking of Heraldry ...

Hrldsmn at aol.com Hrldsmn at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 14:34:52 PDT 2003

In a message dated 4/24/2003 1:57:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
Bryan.Hanson at mbna.com writes:

> It may be a nit (and I am not picking on you, but hoping to increase general
> knowledge.) but in Ansteorra a court barony has a lower precedence than a
> peerage.  His highest title would therefore be Master.  When he was
> Steppes,
> he was landed and thus had a higher precedence than a peer.  He would then
> have been properly called Baron.  Just a tiny point.

I am going to put my worthless two cents worth in here, even though this post
refereed to a different past Baron of the Steppes. I must agree that an
individual should have the right to be refereed to by whichever of their
titles as they prefer, regardless of which has higher precedence in the
Kingdom of Ansteorra. For example, I always use Baron Edwin, never Master
Edwin. My reasoning is that in Mid-16th century England, where MY game is
played, Baron is the certainly a title with more standing than Master. I
certainly still respond if someone uses my Pelican or Laurel titles of
Master, but you will never in any circumstance find me or those who really
know me using that form. It is simply my preference. If that ends up meaning
that someone who does not know me gets the impression that I am "only" a
Court Baron it doesn't really matter to me.

Baron Edwin FitzLloyd