[Steppes] Awfully Quiet out there...

Karolus karolus at gte.net
Sun Aug 10 20:32:39 PDT 2003

Almost a week into the search for the next Baron and Baroness of the Steppes, and not a single couple has posted the intent to run to the Steppes list that I have seen.  Of course many right now are saying "But it's not required we do so, in fact we can't apply via email"  I am sure that many on the list do as I do, and receive the Elfsea list in addition to the Steppes.  I must confess that I found how the candidates put forth the intent, and how the populace quizzed them extensively to be a very enjoyable and insightful look into the minds of those who would lead Elfsea.  Perhaps some are saying "We are not Elfsea" and that is true, the Steppes is not Elfsea.  However, the DFW area is basically one family, and I am sure that Elfsea is considered by many to be a second home.  So if it worked so well for Elfsea, why not do it here?

Though due to more mundane issues I am unable to make any populace or business meetings; I do want to hear from those who would lead this great Barony into the future, guiding, nurturing as much as Fritz and Catrin have done for the past 4 years.  Baron and Baroness in my opinion is perhaps one of the hardest and mostly thankless jobs within the SCA.  It takes special people to do the job, and even greater people to do as well to Fritz and Catrin.

In closing, I wish to thank their Excellencies for the 4 wonderful years they have given to this Great land I call home.  They improved my opinion of the Steppes a thousand-fold and made me proud to call it home.  I am sure they will still be active within the Barony and continue to help out whenever they can.  People of that nature, those that give so freely of themselves are rare and a gift to the rest of us very selfish folks, so Vivat Fritz, and Vivat Catrin.

To those who would fill those big shoes, come on, post and let me know who you are and where you see this Barony going.

Karolus