[Steppes] Re: Weather at Steppes

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 15:06:28 PDT 2003

Your Majesty,

I agree with you whole-heartedly.  I can only remember one major flooding at the old Warlord site (Camp Burnett) where the parking lot got flooded.  Maybe we could look up North somewhere.  Has anyone checked McKinney or Allen?  Or Lake Ray Roberts (the dry area is in the hills) near Glaslyn?  Or Lake Lewisville area?  Or that Dallas Cowboy ranch up 75(?) - can't remember his name or the ranch name.

The mundanity and the weather has always bothered me at Canton.
John and I  were there checking out First Monday flea market one weekend and had to leave because a tornado touched down on the other side of the highway (I-20).  It's a dangerous area.

HL Gabrielle

portofun <portofun at ticnet.com> wrote:
While trying to get back to the royal encampment, I accidentally stepped
into a ditch. The water was past my waist and the current was swift. My
gown quickly soaked in water and became very heavy. Each time I tried to
climb out of the ditch, the mud slid out from underneath my feet.
Fortunately, Don Robin was with me. He grabbed one of my arms and pulled me
forward as I grabbed the fence and pulled myself up as hard as I could. If
he had not been there, I would have been stuck. (My only possible recourse
would have been to TRY to remove my dress.) If I were a child, I might have
been washed away. Between the time, Robin pulled me out of the ditch and
the time we left site, the water had risen another foot. At one point, Lord
Seamus (of Elfsea) waded through water that came up to his chest. He had to
carry a lady on his shoulder to get her to safety.

My mother-in-law lives in the Canton area. She says that this area
frequently has extreme weather due to it's proximity to Cedar Creek Lake.

I strongly feel that the consistent inclement weather (heavy rains,
flooding, and tornados) of the Canton site, along with the incrasing
security issues of mundanes, fully justify the effort and cost of finding a
new site.

Conal, Regina

archmage at gte.net writes:

> That's just how the water got measured in someone's gauge. There were
> places that it was up to my waist... and that's 3'.
>
> Sunnifa
>

> maceogan wrote:
>> I was told the "official" count was 6 inches of rain. My first thought
>> was gee, seemed like more.
>>
>> Alasdair

"Qui ne risque rien, n'a rien."

"Mieux vaut profiter tard,