[Steppes] Re:Security

David Ruff dmruff1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 18:15:45 PDT 2003

Years ago i was at a demo in a park out east and a few
gangster types decided to show up and start taunting
the spectators and SCA folk. One big fighter type went
over to them after he heard them call afew ladies some
select names. Right about that time i guess the local
PD was called altho to this fighters credit he was
very calm, very polite and very easy going. He asked
them to please leave. They did and returned with a bat
they had it out for the fighter. I am guessing that
they did not see the heavy list going on or were to
stupid to care. In the ensuing melee after repeated
verbal attempts to get the kid to drop the bat as the
kid swung at the fighter the fighter dropped him with
a quick rib and rap shot. In the arrest and detainment
one of the kids cheering his buddy on was found with a
9mm handgun. the rest was history. This could have
turned very ugly and given the SCA a bad name, but
with the age of video, the PD coming arcross the lawn
and 100+ witnesses - COUNTLESS hours for the fighter
in court in the battle to fend off a lawsuit ( the one
with the baseball bat didn't like the fact he had 2
fractured ribs and a sore butt) - it didn't hurt
anyone that was not asking for it - this time.

Mundanes can be weird and i hope and pray the sword
and bow never cross mundane and car/gun. This was one
instance where it could have.