[Steppes] SCA Trivia

letebts at earthlink.net letebts at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 06:37:30 PST 2003

Just a bit of my own trivia-- Many, many, years ago I, too, took my 3 to the
Alamo.

One of the things not noted by historians there was the presence of
chochineal bugs in their little wooly webs. I fished some of the web off the
cacti and smeared it and them onto my palm so the kids could see the true
color of "cochineal" and how the insects(?) might be used by native
Americans during one of their "events."

The dye color also was used by weavers as well as painters.
Of course, it's a bit of trivia that the world won't turn on its axis
without one's knowing that information.  ;-)
Lete