[Steppes] SCA in the news. Not good news.

Natasha natashara at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 17:49:14 PST 2003

To all,

I know I am not well known in the Steppes yet, but I
hope to begin to be able to spend more time with you
all and bring my children into the fold to learn all
the new (and old) and exciting things to be found in
the SCA.

On this topic, "not good news", I have strong
feelings, as I am sure you all do.  I had a friend who
was wrongly accused of child pornography by an unhappy
acquaintance who had a bone to pick.  This is a very
serious issue.  The FBI takes it very seriously.  The
media got wind of the arrest and accusations long
before the trial, and published that information,
including his name and address long before the courts
made the determination that he was indeed innocent.
Please remember that in this country people are
presumed innocent until proven guilty.

It is important to protect our children at home as
well as where ever they go. I agree with m'lord
Greylond in the hope that this news article makes
everyone more proactive about participating WITH their
children, and more aware of who they spend their time
with.  Safeguards are not only important but
imperative.

Be well,

Natasha

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_5schragger-4oct30,0,7379260.story?col

> First let me say that I know nothing beyond what is
> in
> the story linked to above, but I'm looking for more
> information. Also, I don't want to imply that I
> think
> he is guilty or not. However, the danger is there
> and
> the Society is getting pretty big. I don't think
> that
> anyone we know and play with is a danger, but I'm
> wondering.
>
> What safeguards does Steppes and/or Elfsea have to
> prevent something like this? For that matter the
> Kingdom? What procedures are followed when approving
> MoC? What about people who are MoC for only one
> event?
>
> I don't want to sound like a worry-wort or want the
> Kingdom and Baronies to have to come up with even
> MORE
> paperwork, but I think our children's safety should
> be
> treated with due care. One of the things that Sara
> and
> I love is being able to use the SCA as a family
> activity. So far everyone involved has treated
> Andrew
> very well and helped us look after him during events
> and we would like to know that we can continue with
> that feeling.
>
> I think that it speaks highly of our local area that
> there are several children that have practically
> grown
> up in the Society and are treated like part of a big
> extended family, but I believe we should be
> proactive
> when it comes to these kinds of dangers. Also, if we
> develop some kind of procedures to prevent this,
> even
> is some kind of basic background check, we can show
> mundane society that we do try to prevent it.
>

> Greylond

=====
"Show me the person who understands that words have no meaning - that's the person I want to talk to."
~Chuang tze