[Steppes] Renaissance Painting Methods workshop

Joe and Mary Schirmer jmschirm at mail.airmail.net
Fri Oct 31 13:49:25 PST 2003

I thought somebody in the SCA might be interested this.  A Renaissance
Painting Methods class is scheduled at the Anthurium Art Gallery in
McKinney by contemporary artist William Patterson.  The class is a hands on
painting techniques workshop on Feb 7, 8 and 9, 2004.  I have seen some of
this artist's work.  It is truly museum quality.  His class is
expensive.  I think it is $350.  The Anthurium Art Gallery is located at
105 W. Louisiana St. in McKinney. Phone: 972-548-0552.

 From his flyer --
"How did the great painters of the Renaissance paint?  What is Fresco, Egg
Tempera, Egg Oil Emulsion, Glazing and so on?  What were their
materials?  What are our materials?  Why are Renaissance painting methods
relevant to painters today?  Is it important to broaden your painting
knowledge?  Why were modelling and the principles of light and shade so
important to Renaissance painters?  How did Giotto paint?  How did
Botticelli paint?  How did Raphael and Da Vinci paint?  How did Titian
paint?  How did these Italian painters influence Rubens, Rembrandt, Vermeer
and other painters active during the Golden age of Dutch painting?"

William Patterson shows his work at the Sherry French Gallery in New York,
Gerald Peters Fine Art in Dallas, and Christopher Clark Fine Art in San
Francisco.  He is a Rome Prize Fellow of the American Academy in Rome.  He
taught at the University of Massachusetts from 1971-2002.  He now lives in
Allen.

I've only sent this note to the Steppes List.  Please forward it to anybody
who might be interested.

Keara Ryan
aka Mary Schirmer