[Steppes] Illuminated manuscripts at the Kimball

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 12:30:41 PDT 2003

For those of you who didn't get to go to the Members' lecture on Oct. 11 on
Books of Hours by the curator of the Kimbell exhibit (from the Pierpont
Morgan Library in NYC, Roger S. Wieck), most of the words of his lecture are
in the article he wrote for the Hours section of the Philadelphia Museum of
Art's (book) publication "Leaves of Gold: Manuscript Illumination from
Philadelphia Collections." The pieces shown in the Kimbell's lecture were
most of what is shown in the catalog at the Kimbell. So, there you have
it...

Wieck is witty and gets a great giggle out of some of the posturing of those
who commissioned the works and the little, snide, artistic comments tucked
into tiny areas by the illuminators. You really have to get a magnifying
glass to check out every centimeter for the fun stuff.

Wieck also commented to me that he had seen the Bridwell exhibit at SMU the
day before and really liked it. At least, that show is local for Steppesers
if you can't make it to Elfsea. Bridwell is open on Saturdays and parking is
ample in the two (3?) story parking garage not far away.

Be sure to allow absolutely *all* day to see the Kimbell show. You will need
it. Of course, one of my favorites was the small, palm-sized bibelot with
all of the *tiny* writing and illumination. You will go nuts with other
pieces, the miniatures, and the shading in them! For fun, see if you can
locate the 1/2" Pope head with the goat hindquarters! ;-D

Still overwhelmed and planning to go back with my church group,
Lete Bithespring