[Steppes] Fall Court (longish)

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Fri Sep 26 12:18:54 PDT 2003

Come join Their Excellencies, Fritz and Catrin, Lord and Lady Steppes at
Their last Fall Court, October 24, 25, and 26th, at Camp Burnett.

If the weather is fair, come Dream in the shade of the Steppes Oak. If the
weather is foul, gather in the Great Hall before the warm fire and share
the cheer of friends and family. When hunger bites, there will be a
fabulous feast Saturday afternoon, with no less a herald for its
enticements than William Shakespeare! Saturday evening, bring your
contribution to the traditional Fall Court potluck! Grills will be
available for use, weather permitting. Please bring your projects to be
worked on as feasible in the great hall and/or under the pavilion, and make
the Great Hall hum with the work and camaraderie of many hands. This is an
event for Steppes, her Cantons, her friends and neighbors to get together,
play persona, eat, drink, and celebrate the Steppes!

FRIDAY
5:00 PM  Gate opens
5:00 PM  Great Hall opens
7:00 PM  Fire laid in the great hall; sing along, informal bardic, stone
soup dinner.
SATURDAY

9:00 AM  Great Hall open; hot water, tea, cocao, coffee available.
10:00  Out door games for children and adults, weather permitting.
Inclement weather will see us in the Great Hall. Board games and arm
wrestling will be in the Great Hall regardless of weather.
12:00  The Feast is served!
2:00  General revelry and fun.
6:00  Court
6:30  Potluck Dinner
8:00 Bardic competition and Bardic circle begins

SUNDAY
09:00-11:00  Hot water, tea, cocoa, and coffee available in the Great Hall.
12:00  site closes

Important Points
·       Camp Burnett is fairly primitive; we will be using portable
toilets. Remember that the weather in Texas in October is a fickle thing;
pack for the Sahara, Antarctica, and a deluge as only Texas can deliver.
Dry socks are GOOD!
·       The feast is included in your site fee, but pre-registration would
be very helpful. There will be links on the web site or you can e-mail
Morgan Cain directly at morgancain at earthlink.net
·       The rules for the Steppes Bard competition are simple. One
performance, any genre. A suggested theme is “Full Circle”, carried over
from Warlord, but it isn’t mandatory. For more information, please contact
Their Excellencies, Fritz and Catrin.
·       Site Fee: $8.00 for members, $10.00 for non-members; and includes
the luncheon feast. For those who wish to join us for the potluck, site fee
will be $5.00 for members and $8.00 for non-members AFTER 2:00 PM ON SATURDAY.
·       Site is wet, but please be responsible and courteous to others.
·       The traditional Camp Burnett Fall Court Potluck will be served for
dinner. Leftovers from the luncheon feast will support this potluck, but
please bring a dish to contribute if you are able. Contact Lady Mikola at
suzipdm at aol.com or 940-458-2548 to coordinate your contribution (no calls
after 9:30, please!), so we aren’t swamped with loaves of bread and no butter!
·       The URL for Steppes Fall Court is: www.steppes.org/fallcourt.html
(Under construction.)
·       Directions to Camp Burnett: The site is located at 3301 North White
Chapel Road, Southlake, TX. From Dallas, take your best route to 121
towards DFW Airport, go west on Hwy 114 to Southlake. Turn north(right) on
White Chapel Road. (4th signal light after leaving the freeway.) Go
approximately 1.6 miles to blue gate for Camp Burnett (Lions Club). From
Fort Worth, take I 35W to 114 and go east to Southlake and White Chapel Road.
·       For further information, please contact: HL Esther of Ennis Merth
at 903/ 530-8842. Please indicate if I can call you back between 9 and 10
pm. Email is preferred: edreese at m7bedlam.com.

Feast forSteppes Fall Court

In keeping with the theme of “Bardic” for this year’s Fall Court, I have
devised a menu based upon food references in The Bard’s plays.  Each item
listed includes references to the quotation(s) on which it is based.  All
of the items, except the two meat dishes, can be eaten by ovo-lacto
vegetarians. Persons wishing specific ingredient lists should contact
Morgan Cain at morgancain at earthlink.net

Meat Pies
“What say you to a piece of beef, and mustard?”  Taming of the Shrew
“I pray you, fall to; if you can mock a leek, you can eat a leek.”  Henry V
“Let the sky rain potatoes.” and  “We have a hot venison pasty to dinner.”
The Merry Wives of Windsor

Roast or Smoked Turkey
“The turkies in my pannier are quite starved.”   I Henry IV

Peas or Beans and Onions
“Peas and beans are as dank here as a dog.”  Titus Andronicus
“Mine eyes smell onions, I shall weep anon.”  All’s Well that Ends Well

Noodles with Cheese
“Send measures of wheat to Rome.”  Antony and Cleopatra
“I had rather live With cheese and garlic, in a windmill, far.”  I Henry IV

Salad
“My salad days: When I was green in judgment.”  Antony and Cleopatra
“Nuncie, give me an egg, and I’ll give thee two crowns.”  King Lear
“Peace puts forth her olive everywhere.”  II Henry IV
“When he was naked, he was, for all the world, like a forked radish.”  II
Henry IV
“I warrant there’s vinegar and pepper in’t.”  Twelfth Night
“We may pick a thousand salads, ere we light on such another herb.”  All’s
Well that Ends Well

Bread in Three Colours
“Of wheat, rye, barley, vetches, oats, and pease.”  The Tempest
“Nature hath meal and bran, contempt and grace.”  Cymbeline
“Corn to make your needy bread.”   Pericles

Butter
“Dish of Butter.”   I Henry IV

Cheese
“There’s pippins and cheese to come.”   The Merry Wives of Windsor

Pies of Apples, Pears, and Dried Fruits
“An apple tart.”  The Taming of the Shrew
“Blessed fig’s end!”  Othello
“I may beg  Four pounds of prunes, and as many raisins o’ the sun.”  The
Winter’s Tale
“I must have saffron, to colour the warden pies; mace  dates, nutmegs,
seven; a race or two of ginger.”  The Winter’s Tale