[Steppes] The Shuttle went down

Crystal Lamb crystal.lamb at sabinevalley.org
Sat Feb 1 11:01:38 PST 2003

We heard the sonic boom and subsequent reports (4-5) at 8:05 am.  No
debris in our yard, but there are reports of debris in surrounding
fields.

Here's what I know about Nacogdoches:

Okay, gang - here's what I know, ranging from what I "hands on" know to
wild speculation.

Being 45 minutes away from Nacogdoches, which for now seems to be an
epicenter of debris, we (my Mom and Dad and I) clearly heard the sonic
boom with multiple reports at 8:05 am.

Confirmed reports are substantial, broad based debris over the downtown
area.  "Wild speculation" without local confirmation as of yet ranges
from a dentist office with a window smashed in from large debris, to the
County airport blocked off by a very large piece of debris.

Several pastures around the 45 minute range have chunks smoldering.  I'm
hearing that Marshall has debris.  That's about 30 minutes East from
me...so that would be two and a half hours from Dallas.

I'm also hearing that homes and buildings around the Nac area heard the
sonic boom much more vividly...like a car was hitting their home or
building.  It just sounded like training day at Fort Polk at our house.

~~~

So far, we're just fine...just a sad day.  Take care

~Aslyn