[Steppes] Fighting Class Bibliography

Jay and Diane Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Feb 17 09:31:20 PST 2003

Todd,

You and somebody else (I forget who) asked for a bibliography for the class.
Here's a first cut.  This comprioses only works available at present from
Amazon.  The prices are the ones currently on the Amazon website, not list
price.

Robin / Jay

Three Elizabethan Fencing Manuals, ed. By James J. Jackson
Facsimile reproductions of Di Grassi, Saviolo, and Silver.  The best single
volume for reproducing a period style.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0820111074/qid%3D1045495166/sr%3D11-1
/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-7430558-1457457
$75.00, ISBN: 0820111074

The History of Fencing: Foundations of Modern European Swordplay
by William M. Gaugler
A 400 page book, of which only about 40 pages is appropriate to the SCA.
Nonetheless, it fills in a lot of holes.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884528163/qid=1045495824/sr=1
-9/ref=sr_1_9/103-7430558-1457457?v=glance&s=books
$24.47; ISBN: 1884528163

A Dictionary of Universally Used Fencing Terminology: With Approval of the
Joint Board of Accreditation of the United States Fencing Association
Coaches College and the San Jose State Univ. Fencing master
by William M. Gaugler
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884528007/qid=1045495824/sr=1
-8/ref=sr_1_8/103-7430558-1457457?v=glance&s=books
$9.95; ISBN: 1884528007

Methods and Practice of Elizabethan Swordplay
by Craig Turner, Tony Soper
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0809315629/qid=1045495714/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7430558-1457457?v=glance&s=books
$31.50; ISBN: 0809315629

The Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe
by Sydney Anglo
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0300083521/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_f/103-74305
58-1457457
$90.88; ISBN: 0300083521

Medieval Combat: A Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Swordfighting and
Close-Quarter Combat
by Hans Talhoffer
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1853674184/ref=pd_sim_books_3/
103-7430558-1457457?v=glance&s=books
$20.97; ISBN: 1853674184

Codex Wallerstein : A Medieval Fighting Book from the Fifteenth Century on
the Longsword, Falchion, Dagger, and Wrestling
by Grzegorz Zabinski, Bartlomiej Walczak
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1581603398/qid%3D1045495500/sr%3D11-1
/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-7430558-1457457
$38.47; ISBN: 1581603398

Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship: Sigmund Ringeck's Commentaries on
Liechtenauer
by Christian Henry Tobler (Editor), Sigmund Ringeck
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1891448072/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_
asin/103-7430558-1457457?v=glance
$49.95; ISBN: 1891448072

Renaissance Swordsmanship : The Illustrated Book Of Rapiers And Cut And
Thrust Swords And Their Use
by John Clements
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873649192/ref=pd_sim_books_1/
103-7430558-1457457?v=glance&s=books
$17.50; ISBN: 0873649192
     John Clements' fighting manuals seem good, as far as I've gone through
them.  However, since he does not give citations, I can't know how accurate
he is, except when I already know the technique he's teaching.
     LINGUISTIC WARNING: John chooses to include the sixteenth century
rapier in with other sixteenth century cut-and-thrust swords, and uses the
term "rapier" only for the out-of-SCA-period 17th century edgeless rapier.
So all of his comments about rapiers having no edges is only true for the
rapiers he's interested in, and not for the rapiers we're interested in.

Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques
by John Clements
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1581600046/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_
asin/103-7430558-1457457?v=glance
$28.00; ISBN: 1581600046
     John Clements' fighting manuals seem good, as far as I've gone through
them.  However, since he does not give citations, I can't know how accurate
he is, except when I already know the technique he's teaching.

Non-fighting Books for Fighters

The Book of the Courtier
by Baldassarre Castiglione
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140441921/qid=1045496885/sr=2-2/ref=
sr_2_2/103-7430558-1457457
$11.16; ISBN: 0140441921

The Noble Science: A Study and Transcription of Sloane Ms. 2530, Papers of
the Masters of Defence of London, Temp. Henry VIII to 1590
by Herbert Berry
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0874134412/qid=1045496738/sr=1
-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-7430558-1457457?v=glance&s=books
$32.50; ISBN: 0874134412