[Steppes] Wood?

jspinks@ix.netcom.com jspinks at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 19 11:55:31 PST 2003

Paxton would be my recomendation for Fort Worth although they can be a bit high. Wood World next to RockBarrel has a good selection and you can sometimes get such things as Macassar Ebony, Tulipwood, and other exotics.  They routinely stock cocobolo (mexican rosewood), honduran rosewood, bloodwood and a number of others.  I would highly recomend some comparision shopping as well.   You might also try the phone book under hardwood mfg.  Next go to the bookstore and get a copy of Fine Woodworking and other woodworking mags- in the back there should be quite a few ads for wood sources- often for one of a kind type buys as well as routine sources.  Also try an internet search for hardwood and exotic wood or lumber.  Purpleheart here runs about 5-9 dollars a board foot.  Where it comes from it is used for construction lumber.

Another possible source is to check with furniture and cabinet manufacturers.  If you find the right source you may be able to obtain extras at relatively low cost.

Jacques the Spink