[Steppes] Re: Re: Weather at Steppes

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 21:50:22 PDT 2003

Ulrich asked:

> How often does it rain like that?, how many events
> (warlords) have been washed out or threatened with
> weather?

It's not just Warlord, and not just Steppes.  In the time I have lived here,
both Stargate (Houston) and Bjornsborg (San Antonio) have been hit with
MAJOR flooding.  Ours was mostly gone by morning.  Theirs went on for DAYS.
And yes, events were washed out, people had trouble getting home.

By comparison, we were just damp.

> Perhaps, instead of changing a otherwise comfortable
> site - maybe a change in months could be looked at?
> may is known for some pretty fun weather. As a hang
> glider pilot - i don't even concider flying in may do
> to the really funky weather patterns and air aloaft
> doing some serious churning.
>
> To change a site takes ALOT - to change a month
> requires some meetings, planning and a pen. Only a
> suggestion...

Look at the calendar - *PED* means "Permanent Event Date."  It takes a lot
more than us rescheduling to move Warlord, Ulrich.

Gerita commented:

> > Now that, Sir, is a tall order if you like (grin)!! Since the BOD won't
> >allow us to own permanent property, we'll have to find a Sugardaddy or
> >Sugarmama willing to own the site for us. And then do fund-raisers under
> >a separate title for such things as bath houses and electrical hookups.
I've
> >been dreaming of such a thing for the last three years, but my ship
hasn't
> >come in to finance the thing! Any one else?

No, it is not a Board thing.  The Board has not prohibited SCA entities from
owning land.  If you read the relevant portion of the IRS Code (26 U.S.C.
sec. 501), you will see that it is a differently-constituted entity that is
permitted to own land.  But if you look in the SCA's Exchequer policies, it
does allow for branch ownership of land.

There is more to owning and running a site than just having a plot of land
and getting utilities added.  Before Warlord I was talking to someone who
said we need to get a hall (we were talking about sites for Artisan) and
then we can use it for the SCA when we want to, and the rest of the time
rent it out for weddings and banquets and such.  Basically, a hall that
gives the SCA preference.

And how would we run this, I asked?  Since most of these events occur on
weekends, when people in the SCA want to play SCA.  He said we could hire a
management company to do everything.  So - we'd have the aggravation and
expense of owning a hall, and making sure the management company runs things
well, all to have a site available for the SCA in reasonable driving
distance for a few events a year?

Don't forget that a key element of any site is going to be LOCATION.  We are
lucky to be in a group-heavy area.  But would someone from Seawinds want to
hold an event in this area, or Northkeep?  We would have to own and manage
sites all over the Kingdom.

And sites cost money, as Gerita noted.  There is ownership, maintenance,
taxes, repairs, etc.  Think of owning a house - but much, much bigger.

                                            ---= Morgan

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
  in matters of principle, stand like a rock."
                                   ---= Thomas Jefferson
"If someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists."
                 ---= Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "The Little Prince"
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
                                    ---= Solomon Short