[Steppes] Re:Security

Cleek, James M. James.M.Cleek at abc.com
Thu Jun 5 09:07:39 PDT 2003

As head of security last year I agree with the trying to catch them
statement and we stopped that once we realized who was where and what was
going on. While waiting for the Police, a couple of us were trying to get a
License number for the police. After a couple of passes we actually got
close enough to discover that they had covered their plates. Once the police
arrived they already had a good idea of who the trouble makers were and that
problem was resolved fairly quickly. We also set up at as many entrances as
possible to try to deter them from entering site. We did not have to chase
them to get them to run through site at around 40-50MPH. They entered the
site at that speed.

Yes we are very often our own worst enemies. Security has to deal with many
issues and a great percentage of our problems are internal.

I have a very great love hate relationship with the Canton site. It is going
to be very hard to replace. Our best option is for everyone to be willing to
help out with security and gate on the site. Many slots went unfilled on
both security and gate this year. We should have at least one off duty
officer on site from sundown to sun up. It would be worth investigating
closing some of the gates and controlling the entrances to the area. One
thing to consider, as I know it will happen, is that we would be
inconveniencing some group that always comes in "that" way. What cost
security? Remember all those who still complain about Airport security now.

There are Dry places to camp and we can move to those places if we have to.
We will loose much of the ambience of the creek area. I know that finding
another site is a priority right now, but we have to be prepared for the
reality if we cannot find an appropriate replacement that we will be back
again next year.

The mundanes are mostly not all that bad. If you take the time to talk to
them and explain a little about what is going on they will either want to
know more or decide that it's not their cup of tea. Out of all the mundanes
I have talked to at Canton I have only run into 3 or 4 who were just plain
disagreeable horses rears. We actually have had a few come in and play with
us through the evening and come back the next day to tell us how much fun
they had.

Iames