[Steppes] Re: [Lindenwood] Midsummer's Masqued Ball

Lady Sunnifa sunnifa at housewhiteshark.org
Mon Jun 23 19:17:11 PDT 2003

> Best Masque---- Lady Sunnifa------ Very intriguing masque!!! How did
> you do it???

The mask was made of cheesecloth strips imbued with plaster over a
face-form and a wire mesh molded into the horse's nose. I used a
styrofoam cone and rings to help get the basic shape for the mesh. A
thin layer of plaster was spread over the wrapped mold to even it out
and then the mask was painted. It was lined in felt and maribou boas
were cut to length and glued to the mask for a mane and fetlock. The
ears were pieces of thin cardstock folded and glued into shape and then
applied into the plaster itself in the final layers.

If I were to redo it, I would switch to paper-mache because I did not
have enough time to fully line the interior of the mask and I had the
chalk taste of plaster in my mouth quite alot. :) I originally chose
plaster because it is stronger with fewer layers, but it gets dusty. :)

Sunnifa