[Steppes] Challenge

Zach Zach hellbilly_tx at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 14:41:27 PDT 2003

Was he not killed by Bacchides in the battle of Elasa?  It should be a roman shield.

There is a story saying that Gawain of Arthurian time won the shield of Judas Maccabee and it was a red shield with a golden eagle.  This seemed odd but thought I would add it here.  A lot of the gear owned by Judas’s army was that of their enemies.  The army really started out as a peasant farmer revolt and then grew to become a well-trained army.

As far as Greeks and the designs that graced their shields, there are just to many to count.  I looked into this out of curiosity and found that unlike the Roman armies that where very inclined into matching uniform and shields, the Greeks were more into doing their own thing.

I am a very junior historian so don’t take my word on this and look it up yourself.  As I have found in my research I can always find something somewhere that contradicts what I just read before.

Nick Vatavia
willow Taylor <willowjonbardc at juno.com> wrote:
Greeting to all the good scholars in Steppes.

I think the Catholic Bible calls them Greeks So the information a 12th
century person would have was that Judas Maccabbeus was fighting Greeks.
Would a 12th century put the arms of the current Greek empire on a shield
in an illustration? If so what are the arms of the Greek empire?

Willow