[Steppes] Challenge

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Thu Jul 17 21:42:01 PDT 2003

Your Grace,

If the poets of the time are to be our guide, the Greeks would bear the
emblems of antiquity -- the Medusa, the Pegasus, the Owl, Wise Athena, or
jagged lightening bolts for warlike Sparta, etc. Byzantium was not the
Empire in question, and moreover was a Christian Nation, (more or less! ;-)

I had the pleasure of spending most of my day at the Dallas library, and
their excellent research librarians assisted me to no avail to find arms
assigned to any worthy (legendary) ancients other than those representing
Christ, Mary, and King Arthur.

So we's just gonna have to make 'em up ourselves, in the allegorical style
of our persona -- or of that 12th century Duchess. Where ARE my art history
books?!

BTW, is the actual date 1203, or did I misread -- is she a 12th century
Duchess, so living in the 1100s? That can make a difference in the style of
allegory.

Esther