[Steppes] A Heraldic Question and Request of Sorts...

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 13:21:08 PDT 2003

Mistress Aslyn asked:

> While we're on the subject of heraldic questions....I'm looking for the
> correct spelling, and jpeg of, a Gaffelon (and please pardon the
> spelling).  You know....that beautiful, thin, long flag.

per Friar's *Dictionary of Heraldry*.

Correct spelling:  standard.

(a gonfannon is an altogether different critter of banner-thiny.)

And while I can't believe I'm actually going to do this, here is a picture in
which there are many people holding standards:

http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/797/view/6683

They aren't heraldic in the fashion of the "High Middle Ages", when heraldry
was in first flower, but they do illustrate the shape (if not the usual pattern
of decor) rather well, and it was the first picture which came to mind that I
knew I could find on the internet.

--Serena
(oh, Lord, I can't believe I just used a movie for documentation...I'm going to
take an asprin now)