[Steppes] Period Footwear

Samatha Cooper darasawall at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 10:27:06 PDT 2003

Another point to consider: at my first event, I wore
Roman-style sandals - not Period but the best I could
manage. This was Warlord. I was wandering about the
camp in the darkness of early morning (with three
bards, as I recall). There are a number of sweet gum
trees around the camp; these drop the large, round
seedpods.

I managed to fall with leg bent back under my weight,
due to my sandal slipping on one in the dark. Tore a
tendon in my knee. Two doctor's visits and physical
therapy.

I strongly advise wearing something stable and
comfortable, perhaps in leather if you can manage for
the looks, but looks are most definitely a secondary
consideration for me. Costume nazis can be treated to
my bag o' pennies. I hand anyone who ventures
advice-unasked-for their two cents worth, you see. I
think it makes the point, in a fairly nice way.

Sariad "Necomers are Just Friends I Haven't Met Yet"
of Steppes